With the summer holidays come garden parties, family barbeques and even the odd wedding or two, and every girl needs the perfect pair of shoes for these occasions. Pimp Your Pimps by Charlotte Liddle is full of loads of super fun ideas for customising your shoes, and the project we’ve got for you today is a really lovely summery pair of uniquely decorated shoes – no-one else will have a pair like these! We think it would work really well on ballet flats too!
Skill level: **
Collage is such a simple yet effective way to transform a pair of shoes. You can make them really personal by carefully choosing images that you are interested in—you could design your shoes around your favourite pop star or song lyrics. You could even use words from your favourite book!
You will need
Newsprint or sewing pattern paper
Pointed-toe shoes with small heel
PVA glue and brush
Selection of papers and images
Small sequins, such as nail art sequins
Fabric for insole (optional)
1. Apply a basic covering of newsprint or pattern paper to each shoe as a starting point for your collage, using PVA glue and a brush.
2. Cut out photos, images from magazines, scraps from gift wrap, or words from old books and collage these onto the shoes at random. With collage you just need to keep working onto the design until you feel the shoes look busy enough and the colors are balanced.
3. When the shoes are well covered and you are happy with the design, spread a thin layer of glue over each shoe. Sprinkle some small sequins over the shoe and then let them dry. When the shoes are dry, cover the design with a hard-wearing varnish to protect it.
4. Add three buttons to each shoe with the glue gun, using the photograph as a guide for positioning.
5. To add a fabric insole to your shoes, choose a suitable fabric to go with your design and follow the instructions below.
Making fabric insoles
1. If you want to cover the insoles, place each shoe on the fabric and draw around the sole. Cut the fabric insoles out. Trim to fit inside the shoe.
2. Apply fabric glue over the insole of the shoe. Carefully place the new fabric insole inside the shoe over the original insole. Smooth into place and allow to dry before wearing the shoes.
Pimp Your Pumps by Charlotte Liddle is available here.
Hope you're having great summer breaks and happy crafting, kids!